From Worms Knowledge Base
|Latest version:||v184.108.40.206 (29 May 2022)|
|Supported W:A version:||3.8.x|
|Website:||TUS thread GitHub repository|
wkTerrainSync is a module for WormKit that allows additional W:A terrains to be installed and selected in the Map editor. It supports online multiplayer (providing all players have the module installed) and will automatically download the custom terrain from the host if it doesn't exist locally.
It superseded WkTerrain adding new features such as data synchronization for network games and sprite addition/replacement.
In addition to custom terrain functionality, later updates added support for generating custom-sized maps in buit-in map generator and support for playing custom missions in both offline and online multiplayer.
For information on how to put together your own custom terrain, see the Terrain Creation Guide.
wkTerrainSync does not require any special configuration or user interaction. Installation is the same as with other WormKit modules, simply extract the files to your Worms Armageddon folder (the same folder with the WA.exe file) and ensure that "Load WormKit modules" in the Advanced options section of the game is enabled.
If you are joining an online game that uses a new terrain file that you currently don't have installed, you will see an "Invalid map file" in map thumbnail and multiple messages about terrain data download will appear in lobby chat. This means the terrain file is being downloaded from the host and a proper map thumbnail will appear once the terrain is downloaded. This should take few seconds depending on network speed.
Playing on custom terrains with those who do no have the module is possible by first converting the map to PNG. However, the debris, soil, background, custom water and other features of the terrain will be lost.
To convert the map to PNG format:
- Enter the detailed map settings window by right clicking the map in the lobby.
- If not already in preview mode, click the preview terrain button .
- Right-click the return to edit mode button . The map will now be a PNG map.
To troubleshoot the module, enable dev console in .ini file and examine the logged messages
- A valid terrain directory contains two files:
- When generating a random map by clicking on map thumbnail, the game selects a random terrain from all available terrains.
- To limit this selection to only custom terrains, hold CTRL key and click on the thumbnail.
- To limit this selection to only default terrains, hold ALT key and click on the thumbnail.
Missions: An additional feature separate from custom terrains is the ability to use the single player mission functionality in online and offline multiplayer.
- A mission file can be placed in the Saved Levels directory with the same name as the map (PNG, IMG and BIT are supported) and it will be loaded by the module when the map is selected.
Data synchronization features:
- Custom network protocol integrated with WA's original network code - this module works seamlessly with WormNAT2 and direct hosting
- Terrains are now referenced by their MD5 hash instead of ID - play online games regardless of your terrain list order and terrain directory names
- File transfers - missing terrain files are automatically downloaded from the host player
- Terrain metadata is embedded directly in .wagame replay files - replay files will work even when terrain list changes or files are renamed
- Downloaded terrain directories are stored as "Name #MD5checksum" to avoid file conflicts
- Incomplete file transfers are stored with .part suffix to prevent adding incomplete downloads to the terrain list
Terrain customization features:
- Terrain files can include additional parallax sprites - back2.spr displayed in far distance behind regular back.spr ; front.spr displayed in front of the map
- Removed sprite loader limitations when handling back.spr, back2.spr and front.spr - sprites are no longer limited to 640x160px size and can be animated like regular sprites
- Terrains can override any sprite in the game, including worm animations, weapon projectiles and clouds - place gfx0/spritename.spr (normal palette) and gfx1/spritename.spr (colorblind palette) within terrain.dir to override any sprite
- Terrains can override water.dir for custom water color and animations - place water.dir next to level.dir in terrain directory. Use https://worms2d.info/Water_color_editor to generate custom water.dir
- Support for custom-sized random maps generated with built-in map generator. The maps can be scaled with 0.1x scale increments in both width and height dimensions up to 5.0x scale max.
- For your convenience the module will automatically copy default WA mission files to User/SavedLevels/Mission/WA/ folder (and slightly fix them).
- Custom mission replay files are fully supported by wkTerrainSync.
- By default, the mission files use an empty .WSC scheme file that is later populated by .WAM script when the mission begins - it will be labeled as [ Default mission scheme ]. This scheme can be edited by changing basic parameters such as turn time, round time, etc. It is also possible to enable 3.8 scheme extended options.
- Mission files can also provide own .WSC scheme, it will be labeled as [ Mission-provided scheme ].
- The module adds some custom fields to WAM file format:
[HumanTeam] or [CPUTeamX] Ammo_SkipGo=1 Delay_SkipGo=2 Ammo_Surrender=3 Delay_Surrender=4 [CPUTeamX] Optional = 1 ; a CPU team will not be spawned if no player team is added to cover this team TeamNameValue=Team Name Text ; sets custom team name instead of one specified by TeamNameNumber WormX_NameValue=Worm Name Text ; sets custom worm name instead of one specified by WormX_NameNumber [EventXXXX] TypeOfEvent=10 ; show text event Text_String_Value=Custom text message to be displayed ; sets custom text message instead of one specified by Text_String_Index
Here are some terrains available to use. Download, extract and place the terrain folder into Worms Armageddon/DATA/Level.
|Name||Author||Download||Notes|| Submission /|
|Angel Island(Sonic3)||JSG||TUS file||Made with assets from Sonic 3's first level||2022-04-23|
|Arachnophobia||Conejo, sbs||TUS file||Art by sbs, crafted by Conejo. Source: https://www.wmdb.org/35027||2020-12-31|
|Arcade||Ducky||TUS file||Participation of oScarDiAnno who made the "worm plush grabbed by a claw" object||2021-01-24|
|Berlin Boss||JSG, Team17||TUS file||Made with Assets from the WWP's Berlin Boss map||2021-12-21|
|Bliss||M1t3nk0v||TUS file||Based on Windows XP and its default Wallpaper "Bliss"||2022-05-20|
|Breaking Bad||doc||TUS file||2022-07-18|
|Candy||unknown||TUS file||From MapGEN Candy theme. An improved/updated version can be found here: https://www.tus-wa.com/files/file-2899/||2023-08-28|
|Cars||JSG, Team17||TUS file||Made with assets from WA's Cars map||2021-12-22|
|CastleHassle||JSG, Team17||TUS file||Made with assets from WWP's CastleHassle map||2023-8-14|
|Chateau||JSG, Team17||TUS file||Made with assets from WA's Chateau map||2021-12-27|
|Chemical Plant Zone||Placebo_yue||TUS file||Art ripped from Sonic 2||2022-04-26|
|Chocolate||King-Gizzard||TUS file||There are 2 variations of this terrain texture; the original cake texture and a cookies texture||2023-10-14|
|CI5 Water||EmeraldPlay||TUS file||Made with assets from Chicken Invaders: Cluck of the Dark Side||2021-05-04|
|Creeper World 2||Orandza||TUS file||Made with assets from Creeper World 2||2021-08-22|
|Dinos||Team17||TUS file||Imported from WWP||2017-10-18|
|DIY||Team17||TUS file||Imported from Worms DC by Ducky||2020-09-01|
|Domestic||Team17||TUS file||Imported from WWP||2017-10-18|
|Egypt||ARTemych, SiD||TUS file||Crafted by SiD. Original ARTemych's art from https://www.wmdb.org/28412||2020-10-22|
|Emerald Hill Zone (sonic 2)||Placebo_yue||TUS file||Made with sprites ripped from Sonic The Hedgehog 2's first level||2022-04-23|
|Fimbulwinter||1gor Melitonov||TUS file||Deleted from TUS||2021-01-10|
|Fruit Bastilles||JSG, Team17||TUS file||Made with assets from WWP's Fruit Bastilles map||2021-12-28|
|Green Hill Zone||Placebo_yue||TUS file||Art ripped from Sonic the Hedgehog||2022-04-20|
|Heaven||Echiko||TUS file||Includes an Altaria sprite from Pokémon franchise and a Holy Grenade||2022-06-13|
|Island Antics||JSG, Team17||TUS file||Made with assets from WWP's Island Antics map||2021-12-24|
|Mangrove Swamp||SIBASA, King-Gizzard, FoxHound||TUS file||First version released on the International Day for the Conservation of the Mangrove Ecosystem (26 July). Second version was only possible thanks to King-Gizzard joining the party||2022-08-11|
|Marble Zone||Placebo_yue||TUS file||Images ripped from Sonic the hedgehog||2022-04-30|
|Missile Base||JSG, Team17||TUS file||Made with assets from WWP's Missile Base map||2021-12-30|
|Mulheresbarbadas||Conejo||TUS file||Art from https://mulheresbarbadas.tumblr.com/||2021-06-03|
|Ocean||SIBASA||TUS file||Released on 8th June to tribute World Oceans Day||2022-06-08|
|Picture City||gray||TUS file||From Rayman 1. Includes a custom water file.||2021-03-24|
|Piggly||EmeraldPlay||TUS file||Based on textures from the summer levels in the game "Piggly".||2022-08-15|
|Prehistoria||Korydex||TUS file||From Lost Vikings||2021-01-02|
|Roman Empire||Echiko||TUS file||2022-08-11|
|Super Mario Bros. 3||King-Gizzard||TUS file||Contains 2 terrains with different land textures. All art sourced from the original game sprites.||2022-05-22|
|Super Mario World||King-Gizzard||TUS file||All art sourced from the original game sprites||2022-05-30|
|Studiopolis||King-Gizzard, Kirill-Gamer||TUS file||Uses the game sprites from Sonic Mania Studiopolis Zone. Kirill-Gamer - idea and design; King-Gizzard - Converting and integrating into a wkTerrain||2022-07-30|
|Woodman||EmeraldPlay||TUS file||Made with Woodman's mugshot from Mega Man 2||2021-08-22|
|Worms: A Space Oddity terrain pack||Carmine, Team17||TUS file||Contains: Cavernia, Earth, Frostal, Kaputzol, Mechanopolis, Tenticilia||2021-09-12|
|Worms: Battle Islands terrain pack||Carmine, Team17||TUS file||Contains: Area 51, Chemical, Jungle, Nuclear, Polar, Underwater||2021-09-19|
|Worms Director's Cut - Forest||Edoardo Moretti, Team17||TUS file||Alternative version of DIY||2020-11-12|
|Worms Reloaded terrain pack||King-Gizzard, nizikawa, Team17||TUS file||Contains: Arabian, Arctic, Hawaii, Jurassic, Space, Wild West||2021-07-01|
|Worms Revolution terrain pack||Carmine, Team17||TUS file||Contains: Beach, Farm, Junkyard, Sewer, Spooky||2021-09-10|
|Worms United terrain pack||nizikawa, Team17||TUS file||Contains: Geiger, Graveyard, Hell, Junk, Mars, Money, Nam, Snow, Warzone||2021-04-03|
Click the preview picture to view a full-size screenshot of the terrain (where available), with background, debris and all terrain properties.