Sold-Out Software release (Worms Armageddon)
From Worms Knowledge Base
This version of the game can be identified by the contents of a certain file on the game CD.
Contents of /Data/Resource/version.txt:
This one is a bit different, as the autorun is set to "Setup.now.exe", which is standard for all post-2000 Sold-Out Software releases. It is a kind of "launcher", where you can install the program (launches /Install/Install.exe), view the manual (launch manual.pdf), and do a few other things. This is what happens in the installer.
The installer appears to do the following:
- Extract group "Program Executable Files" from data1.cab to <APPDIR>
- Extract group "Europe Soundbank Editor" from data1.cab to <APPDIR>/User
- Copies /Install/Install/WA.exe from cd to <APPDIR>
- Copies /Data/Resources/LANGUAGE/readme.rtf to <APPDIR>
- Copies /Data/Resources/LANGUAGE/NAMES.WDB to <APPDIR>/User
- Copies the directory /Data/User/Speech/English/ to create <APPDIR>/User/Speech. does this change if the language changes?
- Creates empty directories Fanfare, SavedLevels, Schemes, and Support in <APPDIR>/User.
- Writes the following to the registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Worms2.Exe] @="<APPDIR>\\Worms2.Exe" "Path"=<APPDIR> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Team17 Software Ltd.] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Team17 Software Ltd.\Worms Armageddon] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Team17 Software Ltd.\Worms Armageddon\1.00.000] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team17SoftwareLTD] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team17SoftwareLTD\WormsArmageddon] "PATH"=<APPDIR> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team17SoftwareLTD\WormsArmageddon\Data] "SubLogicSeed"=dword:00000000
- Sets up an uninstaller at <APPDIR>/Uninst.isu and makes an entry for Add/Remove programs
- Asks user if they wish to installs DirectX 6.
- Adds links to its group in the start menu:
- Read Me
- Sound Bank Editor
- Uninstall Worms Armageddon
- Worms Armageddon
- Adds a desktop shortcut to Worms Armageddon
- Advises user to install the Beta 2 update if Windows XP is detected. Clicking "No" brings up a rather persistent message strongly suggesting they install the update.
- If the update is not installed, Setup.Now will remind the user to install the update every time the program is run (i.e. when the CD is inserted and the Autorun kicks in).
The uninstaller appears to remove everything (including the folders) unless custom files are present, in which case it leaves the directories containing the custom file and the file itself intact.