| Battle Axe
|| Close combat
| Keyboard selection:
|| F2 (x4)
| Standard effects:
|| Halves health
| Present in:
|| W:A, WWP
| For more power settings, see the Detailed Weapon Settings article.
The Battle Axe is a close combat weapon whose damage to its victims depends entirely upon their health. The weapon will remove a fixed percentage of the target's health, depending on its power setting. When fired, the Axe inflicts damage on all worms standing immediately before it. The Axe can kill a worm if it has only 1 health point.
- This weapon is best used on worms with large amounts of health. A worm with 200 hit points will lose 100 of them when struck with a standard power Axe, which makes it more powerful than most weapons. The Axe is therefore generally most effective during the first few minutes of the game.
- The Battle Axe is best used on a group of worms that are very closely piled together. The Axe will hit all of the worms, and can cause very large amount of total damage.
- When a worm is smashed into the ground by the Axe, you can move your worm through it during the animation as though it wasn't there. This allows you to move past the enemy if he is blocking your worm by standing in a narrow passageway. Other weapons may push the enemy away from you and may still be in the way if they are in a tunnel. The Axe guarantees that you will always be able to move past him. For this reason it is quite often useful in battle races.
- The Axe has a surprisingly long range, and can be used through solid terrain.
Criticisms, Problems and Weaknesses
- In most Schemes, worms do not have a lot of health, meaning that the weapon is not very effective in most cases.
- The Battle Axe is one of the very few weapons that will not move the target worm at all.
- The Battle Axe will kill worms if they have only 1 health point, meaning that players can miss out on additional damage done to a group of worms if one of them explodes when dead.
- Double Damage is ignored when using the Battle Axe.