From Worms Knowledge Base
Things that have already been decided regarding W:A 4.0.
Disclaimer: final product may differ due to legal or other reasons.
- It will not require the CD to play.
- It will require the CD only once when installing.
- It will not install in the same folder as the previous versions.
- It will not use most of the same file formats.
- It will convert both game and user files to the new formats during installation.
- It will not support .BIT files on non-Windows OSes (because it's a proprietary, patented format that requires a Windows DLL). However, an online tool will be available to convert BIT maps to 1-bit PNGs.
- It will use Unicode and be fully localizable.
- It will not support Windows 98 or Windows Millennium.
- It will use 32-bit colour (24-bit colour space).
- It will be able to run in a window.
- It will have a non-modal interface, meaning one can play a game, spectate another and chat on WormNET at the same time.
- It will have a redesigned network protocol.
- It will not be network-compatible with previous versions.
- It will have a new, redesigned WormNET system.
- It will not be able to connect to the old WormNETs.
- It will have WMDB integration (or a similar system).
- It will be able to play replays from older W:A versions.
- It will run on Linux and OS X natively.
- It will have an (optional) automatic update mechanism.
It will have a scripting language.Maybe 4.x, probably not in 4.0.
It will not be ready this decade.