From Worms Knowledge Base
|Latest version:||v1.2.0 (18 July 2021)|
|Supported W:A version:||3.8.x|
It makes it easy for terrains such as Dinos and Domestic (which are present on the WWP CD) to be installed and played with WA.
It superseded WkTerrain adding new features such as data synchronization for network games and sprite addition/replacement.
In addition to custom terrain functionality, later updates added support for generating custom-sized maps in buit-in map generator and support for playing custom missions in both offline and online multiplayer.
For information on how to put together your own custom terrain, see the Terrain Creation Guide.
wkTerrainSync does not require any special configuration or user interaction.
If you are joining an online game that uses a new terrain file that you currently don't have installed, you will see an "Invalid map file" in map thumbnail and multiple messages about terrain data download will appear in lobby chat. This means the terrain file is being downloaded from the host and a proper map thumbnail will appear once the terrain is downloaded. This should take few seconds depending on network speed.
Those using the CD version of WA will require FileOverride to use this module.
To troubleshoot the module, enable dev console in .ini file and examine the logged messages
- A valid terrain directory contains two files:
- When generating a random map by clicking on map thumbnail, the game selects a random terrain from all available terrains.
- To limit this selection to only custom terrains, hold CTRL key and click on the thumbnail.
- To limit this selection to only default terrains, hold ALT key and click on the thumbnail.
Missions: An additional feature separate from custom terrains is the ability to use the single player mission functionality in online and offline multiplayer.
- A mission file can be placed in the Saved Levels directory with the same name as the map (PNG, IMG and BIT are supported) and it will be loaded by the module when the map is selected.
Data synchronization features:
- Custom network protocol integrated with WA's original network code - this module works seamlessly with WormNAT2 and direct hosting
- Terrains are now referenced by their MD5 hash instead of ID - play online games regardless of your terrain list order and terrain directory names
- File transfers - missing terrain files are automatically downloaded from the host player
- Terrain metadata is embedded directly in .wagame replay files - replay files will work even when terrain list changes or files are renamed
- Downloaded terrain directories are stored as "Name #MD5checksum" to avoid file conflicts
- Incomplete file transfers are stored with .part suffix to prevent adding incomplete downloads to the terrain list
Terrain customization features:
- Terrain files can include additional parallax sprites - back2.spr displayed in far distance behind regular back.spr ; front.spr displayed in front of the map
- Removed sprite loader limitations when handling back.spr, back2.spr and front.spr - sprites are no longer limited to 640x160px size and can be animated like regular sprites
- Terrains can override any sprite in the game, including worm animations, weapon projectiles and clouds - place gfx0/spritename.spr (normal palette) and gfx1/spritename.spr (colorblind palette) within terrain.dir to override any sprite
- Terrains can override water.dir for custom water color and animations - place water.dir next to level.dir in terrain directory. Use https://worms2d.info/Water_color_editor to generate custom water.dir
- Support for custom-sized random maps generated with built-in map generator. The maps can be scaled with 0.1x scale increments in both width and height dimensions up to 5.0x scale max.
- For your convenience the module will automatically copy default WA mission files to User/SavedLevels/Mission/WA/ folder (and slightly fix them).
- Custom mission replay files are fully supported by wkTerrainSync.
- By default, the mission files use an empty .WSC scheme file that is later populated by .WAM script when the mission begins - it will be labeled as [ Default mission scheme ]. This scheme can be edited by changing basic parameters such as turn time, round time, etc. It is also possible to enable 3.8 scheme extended options.
- Mission files can also provide own .WSC scheme, it will be labeled as [ Mission-provided scheme ].
- The module adds some custom fields to WAM file format:
[HumanTeam] or [CPUTeamX] Ammo_SkipGo=1 Delay_SkipGo=2 Ammo_Surrender=3 Delay_Surrender=4 [CPUTeamX] Optional = 1 ; a CPU team will not be spawned if no player team is added to cover this team TeamNameValue=Team Name Text ; sets custom team name instead of one specified by TeamNameNumber WormX_NameValue=Worm Name Text ; sets custom worm name instead of one specified by WormX_NameNumber [EventXXXX] TypeOfEvent=10 ; show text event Text_String_Value=Custom text message to be displayed ; sets custom text message instead of one specified by Text_String_Index
Here are some terrains available to use. Download, extract and place the terrain folder into Worms Armageddon/DATA/Level.
|Name||Author||Download||Notes||Submission / Last update|
|Egypt||ARTemych and SiD||TUS file||Crafted by SiD. Original ARTemych's art from https://www.wmdb.org/28412||2020-10-22|
|Fimbulwinter||1gor Melitonov||TUS file||2021-01-10|
|Picture City||gray||TUS file||from Rayman 1. Includes a custom water file.||2021-03-24|
|Prehistoria||Korydex||TUS file||Lost Vikings||2021-01-02|
|Worms Reloaded terrain pack||Team17, nizikawa, King-Gizzard||TUS file||Contains: Arabian, Arctic, Hawaii, Jurassic, Space, Wild West||2021-07-01|
|Worms United terrain pack||Team17, nizikawa||TUS file||Contains: Geiger, Graveyard, Hell, Junk, Mars, Money, Nam, Snow, Warzone||2021-04-03|
Click the preview picture to view a full-size screenshot of the terrain (where available), with background, debris and all terrain properties.