Updates (Worms Armageddon)
From Worms Knowledge Base
All Beta updates up to and including 18.104.22.168 were written almost solely by Deadcode, after being recruited by Team17. In September 2006, CyberShadow joined forces with Deadcode; all updates since and including 22.214.171.124 were written by Deadcode and CyberShadow.
The latest Beta update can always be downloaded from wa.team17.com.
This site mirrors some of the released beta updates:
- WA_Exe-126.96.36.199_Beta_2.zip (2002.08.15)
- WA_Update-188.8.131.52_Beta_2.exe (2002.08.15)
- WA_Update-184.108.40.206_Beta.zip (2004.02.12)
- WA_Update-220.127.116.11_Beta.zip (2004.02.20)
- WA_Update-18.104.22.168_Beta.zip (2004.03.21)
- WA_Update-22.214.171.124_Beta.zip (2004.07.13)
- WA_Update-126.96.36.199_Beta.zip (2004.09.23)
- WA_Update-188.8.131.52_Beta.zip (2004.09.27)
- WA_Update-184.108.40.206_Beta.zip (2004.09.28)
- WA_Update-220.127.116.11_Beta.exe (2004.10.06)
- WA_Update-18.104.22.168_Beta.exe (2005.03.23)
- WA_Update-from-22.214.171.124-to-126.96.36.199_Beta.exe (2005.03.23)
- WA_Update-188.8.131.52_Beta.exe (2005.03.24)
- WA_Update-184.108.40.206_Beta.exe (2005.03.29)
- WA_Update_from_220.127.116.11+_to_18.104.22.168_Beta.exe (2005.03.29)
- WA_Update-22.214.171.124_Beta.exe (2005.03.31)
- WA_Update-126.96.36.199a_Beta.exe (2005.04.26)
- WA_Update-188.8.131.52_Beta.exe (2006.01.05)
- WA_update-184.108.40.206_Beta_Installer.exe (2007.06.29)
- WA_update-220.127.116.11_Beta_Installer.exe (2008.07.28)
WA_Update-18.104.22.168_Beta_2.exe is a Microsoft installer (with an embedded Microsoft Cabinet file, which can be extracted with cabextract under a Unix-like system or (presumably) EXTRACT.EXE on Windows). Inside this installer is actually another installer - an InstallShield installer. Inside this is the data1.hdr file, which points programs towards the two cab files. These are InstallShield Cabinets. These can be extracted with Unshield on UNIX or i6comp on Windows.
WA_Exe-22.214.171.124_Beta_2.zip and wa_update-126.96.36.199_beta_3.zip to WA_Update-188.8.131.52_Beta.zip are technically not installers. They are just a plain zip file containing the updated files. One does not need to install previous updates, as these are cumulative.
WA_Update-184.108.40.206_Beta.exe to WA_Update-220.127.116.11_Beta.exe (and presumably some other versions) is a UPX-compressed self-extracting 7-Zip archive. The contents can be manually extracted using 7-Zip. Depending on which version of 7-Zip is being used, the UPX compression may have to be manually removed first.
Versions since 18.104.22.168 come in an NSIS installer package, which automates most of the updating tasks - detects installation directory, downloads and installs prerequisites like the 3.0 Patch or the updated GFX archives (which were introduced in 22.214.171.124). The updated GFX archives can be downloaded separately here, and it is a self-extracting 7z archive. Both of these (the NSIS installer and the 7-Zip archive) can be extracted with 7-zip, on Unix-like OSes and presumably Windows.