From Worms Knowledge Base
The worm walking physics is rather complex in Worms 2/W:A/WWP. There are two basic phases to walking; an "expanding" phase and a "contracting" phase. During the latter phase, very little forward motion is acheived.
This can be exploited. Early on, players discovered that if you rhythmically click the right mouse button while making your worm walk, it can walk faster. The technical reason for this is that right-clicking causes the game to open the weapons panel; input (the arrow key which makes the worm walk) then immediately closes the panel, but the upshot is that input is ignored for one frame (1/50 second). This causes the phase of the walk to be reset, and the slower "contracting" phase is skipped.
The rate at which the right mouse button is clicked makes a big difference. Click too slowly, and there's little gain in speed. Click too fast and the worm will actually advance more slowly. At best, it provides a 1.43× speed boost; jumping forward is a faster way to travel when the terrain allows it.
Some people consider skipwalking — also known as the fastwalk glitch, or "cheatwalking" — to be a disreputable cheat. Others feel that it is a legitimate skill, and a way to reduce the monotony of long walks. It is, however, generally agreed upon that skipwalking should be disallowed in Battle races.
- 1.00000× speed with 0.04 sec warmup - Normal Walking
- 1.00000× speed - Skipwalking slowdown threshold (2.84211 clicks/second; a slower rate yields slow walking)
- 1.00000× speed - Skipwalking slowdown threshold (6.05000 clicks/second; a faster rate yields slow walking)
- 1.14263× speed - Optimum Jumping up a 45° slope (period=0.94 sec)
- 1.43098× speed - Optimum Skipwalking (period=0.22 sec, 4.54 clicks/second)
- 1.98402× speed - Nearly Optimum Jumping on a flat surface (period=1.32 sec)
- 2.00000× speed with 2/3 second warmup - Walking with Fast Walk utility
- 2.00030× speed - Optimum Jumping on a flat surface (period=1.3 sec)
- 2.32279× speed - Optimum Jumping down a 44.74° slope (period=1.78 sec)
Skipwalking speed comparison
- period=0.16 sec: 0.92593x speed
- period=0.18 sec: 1.18313x speed
- period=0.20 sec: 1.34259x speed
- period=0.22 sec: 1.43098x speed
- period=0.24 sec: 1.35031x speed
- period=0.26 sec: 1.24644x speed
- period=0.28 sec: 1.19048x speed
- period=0.30 sec: 1.14198x speed
- period=0.32 sec: 1.09954x speed
- period=0.34 sec: 1.03486x speed
- period=0.36 sec: 0.97737x speed