From Worms Knowledge Base
|Latest version:||v0.5.0 / 19 April 2013|
MapGEN is a program written by Plutonic designed to generate random maps for particular schemes. It was first released on 11th July 2006. As of version 0.3, it now comes with a wormkit module so maps can be generated in game using settings saved in the main program. A folder called MapGEN will appear in the saved levels list containing PNG's for each scheme available.
With the release of wkIndiMask, MapGEN was updated (v0.4.0) to have an editor for changing which colours were indestructable on the map.
MapGEN currently supports these schemes:
- Bows and arrows
- MapGEN can create random maps for the BnA scheme, with a control that varies the density of objects. MapGEN also supports big maps for the BnA scheme, and provides sliders for the width and the height. The graphics for the specks that make up the map can be chosen from 6 defaults or added manually by creating a new folder in the program's bna subdirectory. Due to changes in the way Bow and Arrow is played today because of big maps there is now a toggle to have a density gradient. With this turned on more objects will be placed at the bottom of the map leaving the top empty.
- Random forts are generated from sets of tiles. Each fort is created with 8 random tiles from an extensive collection, and then textured to one of three themes (brick, granite or white stone). Additional tiles or textures can be manually added in the program's data directory.
- MapGEN can create random ropers, but provides no controls for how they are generated.
- Walk for weapons
- Random Walk for Weapons maps can be generated with a control that adjusts the number of "pads".
- Rope race
- RopeRace maps can be generated to any size up to 8000x8000, the width of the path can be scaled between 82 and 250 pixels. The mazes are always "Perfect" in that they always fill the full space, however they will always place the start and finish adjacent to each other.
- Super Sheep Race
- Supersheep race maps can be generated to any size up to 8000x8000. The width of the path and the number of corners can be adjusted. There are also a few options for smoothing the path. "Smooth" removes all corners, "Edges" makes no attempt at smoothing and "Mixed" will randomly pick areas of the map to smooth. Players always start in the top left of the map.
- Supersheeper maps in the form of cavern mazes can be generated to any size up to 8000x8000. The width of the tiles/path can be adjusted. Because of the nature of this game and the likelihood of water deaths, padding can be tweaked from 1 to 5 tiles thick.
- Basic city shopper maps can now be produced (1920x696 only currently). Other varieties of normal shopper are planned.
- Generic Island
- Island maps can be generated in any size up to 8000x8000. The look of the map can be changed using the complexity slider as well as two tick boxes: Complexity Gradient and SuperComplex. Turning on the Complexity Gradient produces islands that have larger and smoother areas towards the bottom-middle of the map and get more fiddly at the edges.
- Generic Cavern
- Cavern maps can be generated in any size up to 8000x8000. Currently share the same settings as Islands, though they dont realy fit and are likely to change.
MapGEN is still under development and will support more schemes in the future. These may include: